The story about Denmark’s National Art Library at Charlottenborg goes all the way back to 1754, where shortly after establishing The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, the academy’s library was set up as a school library in 1758. Subsequently, the library has been housed several places at Charlottenborg, before moving to its current location in the Exhibition building in 1883. The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts’ library was separated from the academy itself in 1996 and was given the name Danmark Kunstbibliotek (The Danish National Art Library).
Facts about The Danish National Art Library at Charlottenborg
- The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts was established at Charlottenborg 31 March 1754.
- In 1758 the academy’s library was established as a school library.
- The library was given its own premises in 1883 in the Exhibition building (the current reading room).
- The Exhibition building is designed by the architects Ferdinand Meldahl and Albert Jensen.
- In 2017, The Danish National Art Library merged with Det Kgl. Bibliotek, but it is still housed in the beautiful building in the heart of Copenhagen.