Our vision, mission and strategy brings alive the frame for the library’s work and provides a direction for our numerous activities.
- The Royal Danish Library is the national library of Denmark
- The Royal Danish Library works for knowledge and cultural heritage, now and in the future
The Royal Danish Library maintains the following functions:
As a university library, the Royal Danish Library provides service that supports research and teaching at Aarhus University, the IT University of Copenhagen, the University of Copenhagen and Roskilde University.
As a national library, the Royal Danish Library collects, preserves and makes available cultural heritage via texts, images and audio, in both physical and digital form.
As a super central for the Danish public libraries, the Royal Danish Library provides service that constitutes a supplement to the public libraries’ service offerings to citizens.
As a research institution , the Royal Danish Library increases knowledge about the cultural heritage.
The Royal Danish Library has this vision for the library enterprise:
- The Royal Danish Library – for all, for real, for life
- The Royal Danish Library is a special library, which promotes curiosity, knowledge and living democracy
The overall strategy of the Royal Danish Library is expressed in three short statements, about the desired effect of the Royal Danish Library, in relation to society:
- We contribute to an enlightened and democratic knowledge-based society
- We contribute to courtesy, education, research and innovation
- We collect, preserve, disseminate and research the Danish cultural heritage
Below are the three headlines, broadened to include the associated explanations, which give reasons for and support each individual statement:
We contribute to an enlightened and democratic knowledge-based society
- We provide access to physical and digital library collections, scientific information and data for citizens, researchers, students and enterprises.
- We are the national library of Denmark and promote open and equal access to cultural heritage of both Danish and foreign origin.
- We develop and provide tools, competences and professionally rooted guidance, that can be used by everyone.
- We create a framework, where the users can take a critical stance to knowledge and data.
We contribute to courtesy, education, research and innovation
- We create a framework for courtesy and lifelong learning.
- We support studies, research and innovation, by making material, data and information accessible and by facilitating a modern and inspiring study environment for everyone.
- We boost the users’ competences and knowledge of the Royal Danish Library’s collections by offering professional and qualified education and guidance.
- We promote norms for proper academic practice and support research and knowledge creation at Danish universities and educational institutions.
We collect, preserve, disseminate and research the Danish cultural heritage
- We preserve the past, collect the present and enrich the future, and in that way create value for both current and future users.
- We preserve and give access to unique cultural heritage collections and information about these.
- We open up doors to the memory banks of Denmark and positions Denmark in an international context.
- We administer and disseminate cultural heritage with Danish origins and cultural heritage of importance to Denmark – in this way, we support user identity formation and boost cultural communities.
The common thread: digital transformation and sustainability
In order to deliver the desired effect – an enlightened and democratic knowledge-based society – the Royal Danish Library must complete a number of activities. The goals in the framework agreement and other strategic efforts will be key activities. We already know that more will follow, at the same rate as changing user needs and new terms and opportunities. The guiding principle for these will be that they contribute to digital transformation and increased sustainability.
New and rapid changing digital technology creates new expectations, which will influence the way we make use of technology to create the value that citizens rightly expect. There will be a need for new competences at all levels of the library, for cross-functional cooperation both internally and externally, as well as new forms of organizing. And all this must be done in a sustainable way – using the fewest resources possible, and in a way that supports the green transition.
The Royal Danish Library’s strategy has been prepared in a process across the library’s units with many employees and managers involved. The result is summarized in a developed strategy, in relation to citizens, students and researchers, public libraries and collaborative partners.
Det Kgl. Bibliotek's Strategy 2020-2023
Our vision, mission and strategy bring to life the framework for the library's work and provide direction for our numerous activities (in Danish).