The Centre for Maps, Prints and Photographs
The Centre offers the opportunity to use the national collections of maps, photographs and prints in surroundings suitable for the study of these materials under the guidance of expert staff.
Which materials are available at the Centre?
- pictures and portraits
- aerial photographs (by appointment - contact firstname.lastname@example.org )
- photographic works of art from The National Museum of Photography
- drawings from The Museum of Danish Cartoon Art
How do I order materials from the collections?
You can use
- a print from the library's online catalog, called REX (see below)
- a print from the Index of names in the portrait collection (see below)
- a paper orderslip (available at the centre) for materials, not registred in REX
What can I order through the Library's online catalog, REX?
- maps, charts and atlases covering Denmark and the rest of the world (search Maps and Atlas)
- portraits - photographs, drawings and printed images (search The Portrait Collection: Index of Names)
- selected topographical pictures, posters, postcards and other types of images (search The National Picture Database)
- works in The National Museum of Photography (search The National Museum of Photography)
How long is the delivery time?
- normally you will get the materials within 5 to 15 minutes.
- items placed in remote storage for preservation purposes may take up to two weeks
- you are welcome to enquire as to the availability of the desired material. Send an e-mail to email@example.com
- for aerial photographs, make an appointment with firstname.lastname@example.org
Is a library card required?
- a library card is required in order to use material from our collections or use the pc's at the centre.
If you want to examine rare and/or valuable materials (including all works from the The National Museum of Photography) you will need a special Reading Room Identity Card prior to requesting the materials. More information here. The application form may be obtained at the centre
Facilities at the centre
The centre has a reference collection of about 7.500 volumes on
- graphic arts
- recent photographic books
as well as relevant dictionaries
Search titles in The Library's online Catalog Slotsholmen (Reading Room)
The centre also has a documentary and news archive on Danish and foreign photographers
The following equipment is at the users' disposal:
- 27 places for readers with outlets for your laptop
- wireless internet connections
- 2 pc's with internet connections (library card required)
- 1 copying machine (special card required)
- 1 pc with printer attached without internet connection (for reading cd-roms)
If you want to watch videos we have to refer you to Reading room East
Coats and bags are not allowed in the centre. Please use the lockers, located on each floor of the Black Diamond (requires DKK 10.- which will be returned when you remove your belongings)
Papers and personal belongings brought into the centre, must be in a clear plastic bag.
Regulations for using the centre here