About the Danish National Art Library’s building at Charlottenborg in Nyhavn
Since 1754, the Danish National Art Library at Charlottenborg in Nyhavn has seen a large number of changes. Read more about the beautiful building located in the heart of Copenhagen.
The story of Denmark’s National Art Library at Charlottenborg goes all the way back to 1754, where, following the establishment of The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, the academy’s library was set up as a school library in 1758. The library has subsequently been housed in several places at Charlottenborg before it moved to its current location in the Exhibition Building in 1883. The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts’ library was separated from the academy itself in 1996 and was given the name Danmarks Kunstbibliotek (The Danish National Art Library).
Facts about The Danish National Art Library at Charlottenborg
- The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts was established at Charlottenborg March 31, 1754.
- In 1758, the academy’s library was established as a school library.
- The library was given its own premises in 1883 in the Exhibition Building (the current reading room).
- The Exhibition Building is designed by the architects Ferdinand Meldahl and Albert Jensen.
- In 2017, The Danish National Art Library merged with Det Kgl. Bibliotek, but it is still housed in the beautiful building in the heart of Copenhagen.